- Contact Us
38th Conference in Carmel
Making Cities Livable Conference on
REBIRTH OF THE TOWN CENTER
& TOWN SQUARE
& Workshop on
Healthy Environments for Children & Youth
La Playa Hotel
October 19 - 23, 2003
An international conference for Mayors, councilors and city officials committed to making livable cities and towns, and for practitioners and scholars in architecture, urban design, planning, landscape architecture, historic preservation and urban affairs.
The IMCL Conferences emphasize the significant role of urban public spaces in the life of the city, and recommend policies (in planning, architecture, urban design, architecture) that promote well-being.
IMCL Conference participants have helped shape thinking about cities worldwide.
Plenary & Panel Sessions
SPECIAL WORKSHOP (Saturday/Sunday)
Healthy environments for children & youth (development of impact assessment criteria, e.g. accessibility & autonomy, legibility & imageability, stimulation value, meaningfulness of the built environment, events & activities linking children & adults, extent of shared public space, opportunities for social learning)
- Social sustainability & the town center
- Rebirth of the American town center
- The return to city centers of mixed use & the shop/house
- Creating suburban town centers
- The essential role of the multi-functional square
- Design principles for town squares
- Evaluating new towns & town centers
- The public realm as a learning environment for children & youth
- The European square/marketplace: Case studies
- The town square in North America
- Urban public space as community catalyst
- Democracy & the town square
- Diversity & conflict: urban design solutions
- and other related topics
Saturday, October 18, 2003
Healthy Environments for Children & Youth
(Development of impact assessment criteria)
- Planning & urban design issues
Sunday, October 19, 2003
- Healthy Environments for Children & Youth
Monday, October 20, 2003
- The Livable City: Learning from the Best Examples
- The Livable City: Principles & Values
- Urban Public Places & Democracy
- Revitalization of the Historic Town Center. Five Initiatives from Spain
- Report from the Workshop on Healthy Environments for Children & Cities
- Enlivening the City: Community Festivals
Tuesday, October 21, 2003
- Rebirth of the Town Center
- Architecture & the Town Center
- Public Places & the Creation of Community
- The Urban Room & the Figuration of the City
- Can Today's Retailers Healp Create Tomorrow's New Suburban Town Centers?
- The City through the Eyes of Children & Young People
- City Life in Literature
Wednesday, October 22, 2003
- Shaping Identity through the Narrative of the Built Environment
- Architecture & City Identity
- Reconstructing Squares & Town Centers
- Enlivening the City: Public Art & Markets
- Issues in Creating Squares
Thursday, October 23, 2003
- Matthew Balistrieri, SDC Community Partners, Milwaukee, WI.
- Scott Bauer, Bigelow Homes, Palatine, IL.
- Perry Bigelow, President, Bigelow Homes, Palatine, IL. Workshop:
- David Cloutier, Executive Director, Cultural Council for Monterey County, Carmel, CA.
- Suzanne H. Crowhurst Lennard Ph.D.(Arch.), Director & Conference Organizer, International Making Cities Livable Conferences, Carmel, CA, USA.
- Don Faulkner AIA., Assoc. Professor & Assoc. Dean, Department of Architecture & Landscape Architecture, College of Engineering & Architecture, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND.
- Andreas Feldtkeller, Director of Planning & Restoration, City of Tübingen, Tübingen, GERMANY.
- Judy Forster, Mayor, City of While Rock, BC, CANADA.
- Michael Geller, President & CEO, SFU Community Trust, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, CANADA.
- Jim Gordon, Mayor, City of Greater Sudbury, Sudbury, ON, CANADA.
- Matthew Gosser, Ph.D. candidate, Newark, NJ.
- Allen Green, MLA, MSArch, MA Inter-Arts, Green Plans, Richmond, CA.
- Margarita M. Hill, Assoc. Professor, Dept. of Natural Resource Sciences & Landscape Architecture, University of Maryland, College Park, MD.
- Christopher N. Jakubiak, President, Jakubiak & Associates, Inc., Annapolis, MD.
- Henry L. Lennard Ph.D., Chairman, Advisory Board, Organizer, International Making Cities Livable Conferences, Carmel, CA. Formerly, Professor of Medical Sociology and Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco.
- Thomas Martineau, Professor of Architecture, Florida A & M University, Tallahassee, FL, USA.
- Bob Morrow, Former Mayor, City of Hamilton, Hamilton, ON, CANADA.
- Catherine Peek, Houston, TX.
- Borzou Rahimi, Architect, Santa Monica, CA.
- Todd Ray, AIA, Principal, Studio 27 architecture, Washington DC.
- Joseph P. Riley Jr., Mayor, City of Charleston, SC.
- Ted Sarbin, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology & Criminology (Em.), University of California at Santa Cruz, Carmel, CA, USA.
- Kenneth Schwartz FAIA, Director of Design, Renaissance Planning Group, & University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA.
- Kay Sullivan, Town Founder of Winthrop, Brandon, FL.
- Yann Taylor, Field Paoli Architects, San Francisco, CA.
- Penny S. Travlou, Ph.D., OPENspace Research Centre, Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh, SCOTLAND, UK.
- Lewis N. Villegas, PMCIP, B.Arch, BA, DTech, Vancouver, BC, CANADA.
- Ingrid Wekerle, Faculty of Drama & Dance, City University of New York, NY.
- Maxine Wilson, Councillor, City of Coquitlam, Coquitlam, BC, CANADA.
- George Wynne, Director, International Programs, American Public Transportation Association, Washington DC, USA.